Families Australia is an independent national, not-for-profit peak member-based organisation that advises the Commonwealth Government on child family policy issues, especially on ways to increase the engagement of families who experience vulnerability. The organisation exists to inform and influence family policy at the highest government levels, work closely with Members in developing policy, strongly advocate for the diversity and value of families, including working alongside Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples and organisations.
The organisation’s vision is that Australian families, in all their diversity, enjoy the greatest possible wellbeing. To achieve this, Families Australia foster a national public policy environment in which family-related issues prosper. For over 20 years, Families Australia has played a key leadership role in advocating for, and helping to design and support including key leadership of the National Framework for Protecting Australia’s Children.
Families Australia is seeking to appoint a dynamic leader who will be responsible for the development of child and family policy in Australia. Specifically, the person in this role will:
- Ensure the strategic development of the next iteration of the National Framework for Protecting Australia’s Children, while remaining aligned to the organisation’s purpose and vision;
- Support, extend and mobilise membership;
- Work with government to effectively and demonstrably influence national policies and programs that impact Australia’s families, especially those experiencing the greatest vulnerability and marginalisation;
- Create opportunities through innovation and new partnerships; and
- Further directly the revenue base for the organisation to increase its reach and impact.
Critical to success will be the development of a robust financial strategy to ensure the organisation’s strength, short and long term, to enable greater impact.
- Work with the Board to ensure the development and implementation of a strategic plan to enable Families Australia to achieve its vision, balancing commercial imperatives and impact for families.
- Develop strategic financial and investment plans and budgets to support the organisation’s desire for sustainability and growth.
- Lead new business development opportunities to grow and diversify Families Australia revenue.
- Drive member value and growth.
- Ensure the continued growth of Families Australia’s voice and influence to advocate for policies that best support Australian families.
- Continue to plan and build strategic relationships and partnerships with government, funders, businesses, peer groups, service delivery organisations and other relevant stakeholders.
- Provide clear leadership and direction and act as a source of inspiration and motivation to the team, Board, partners, supporters, families and the community more broadly.
- Ensure marketing/communications materials are relevant, engaging and clearly articulate the mission of Families Australia to support awareness, influence and advocacy.
- Drive operational excellence to ensure the organisation exceeds requirements relating to contract deliverables, relevant standards and regulations related to contracts and internal policies.
- You will enjoy a range of benefits, including:
- A supportive, flexible, autonomous and values based working environment.
- Work life balance and family-friendly culture.
- The opportunity to make a mark in shaping Australia’s future child and family policy landscape.
- Flexible work arrangements.
- Support to continue your professional development and continuous learning.
- The opportunity to be part of an organisation that strives every day to make a difference to the lives of families.
How to apply
People for Purpose have been appointed to assist with the search for this role.
We invite you to read the Position Description and Annual Report. Once you have absorbed this information, if you have specific questions please email [email protected]
To apply, you must submit a CV and a covering letter outlining why you are interested in representing Families Australia and how your skills align to the key responsibilities of this role.
Applications close 5pm on Monday 14 June 2021.
Families Australia are committed to inclusion and diversity, and encourage Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples, people from culturally and linguistically diverse (CALD) backgrounds and people living with a disability to apply.